City of Stephenson, MI

LOCAL NEWS - November, 2018

The City election was held in conjunction with the November 6, 2018 General Election. Elected to serve on the City council are Mayor- Connie Westrich, Council members – Jen Bastien and Incumbents John Starzynski and Ron Zahorik.

The parking ban on City Streets is in effect from November 1 st to April 1 st of 2018, between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

The annual Christmas Tree Lighting will be held on Monday, December 3rd in the Downtown Area at 6:00 p.m. Caroling will begin at 5:30 p.m. with the “Stay Tuned” music group. Santa will be there to visit with the children. Refreshments will be served afterwards at the United Methodist Church.

Reservations are being received for the park pavilions. The pavilions are reserved on a first come-first serve basis. For reservations contact City Hall. The Multi-purpose Pavilion has flush bathrooms and a recently added kitchen area where food can be stored and served from. The Stephenson Lions Club generously donated time and materials toward the construction of the kitchen area.

The City has now implemented a voluntary green pricing renewable energy program. Contact City Hall for more details.

Utility bills can now be paid by debit/credit card in the office or online, or by ACH. ACH forms are available at the City Hall office.

Homeowners are reminded to place street numbers on their houses that are easily seen by emergency vehicles.

The City has contracted out its law department services to the Menominee County Sheriff’s Department. For emergencies, call 911. For non-emergencies call Central Dispatch at 888-863-6614.

The City has an energy optimization program. See the list of EO rebates at

Residents are reminded that recreational burning permits are allowed. Contact City Hall for a permit. There is no fee for the permit. No other burning is allowed in the City.

A building permit is required in the City of Stephenson for construction, fences, etc. As of September 1, 2015 a land use permit is required for permanent pools, whether they are in ground or above ground. Contact City Hall for further information and/or a permit application.